Trans*Figure invites you to our official launch event: Here, Queer and Fabulous, an extravaganza of LGTBQ style in a trans/nonbinary/gender-nonconforming focused environment. The swap will be held at 1172 Eastern Parkway #4 Brooklyn, NY, on September 3rd from 4:00pm to 7:00pm. All are welcome to attend, but we ask that you bring at least three items of freshly cleaned, gently worn clothes and accessories to exchange. Whether you need a few new pieces to spice up your look, or a whole new wardrobe, come and let us help you Trans*Figure yourself while meeting other people in the queer community and learning about the other services we offer. *
*Please note that if you are not in the financial position to bring clothes you are still welcome to attend
1. Respect the space. We are not here to decide who is queer enough to participate in queer fashion fun, but this is a space by and for trans/NB/GNC/genderqueer people, so we expect all participants of the event to enter without judgement, bias or prejudice and an understanding of how gender changes/is performed as a construct.
2. If you have questions about gender/pronouns/trans issues, or are unsure about language and don’t want to make a mistake--don’t worry! Seek out a Trans*Figure rep and we’ll give you the 411! We are there to educate you--other participants are not.
3. Do not assume anything. It is impossible to tell someone’s gender by looking at them, so always ask for people’s pronouns and be respectful about the language they prefer for themselves.
4. Be open with others-- the only way for others to know how to address you is if you are honest with them. If you are still figuring it out--don’t worry! Just say so. This is a judgement free zone, so don’t be scared.
5. Report any inappropriate behavior to a Trans*Figure representative so that we can handle the situation quickly.